Sunday, May 13, 2012

Glass Etched Baby Jar Organizers

This is what happens when you get a surplus of baby food jars and you're itching to do some etching.

For this project, I got: baby food jars, contact paper, exacto knife, and (border-free) letter stickers.

First, I spelled out the various things each jar would be for with the stickers. The only drawback to this was that I didn't have the foresight to check the stickers for borders. This meant I spent an hour cutting around the clear borders. And even then, I would have to settle for blocky letters. Eh, live and learn (and check stickers for clear borders).

Much like my coasters, I taped a 6" x 6" piece of contact paper onto my cutting board. Then, for lack of better phrasing, I drew a splotch on contact paper. I kept the jars nearby so I'd know how big to make my splotch.

And then -- I etched! I used a plastic bag to keep the jars still as I slabbed on the etching creme.

While the etching cream was etching, I worked on the second set. Thankfully, with these jars, I found stickers that had no clear boundaries.



I'm in love with these jars. They're compact, they keep everything organized, and they were a lovely excuse to pull out my etching cream again. Now -- what else can I etch?

3 comments:

  1. Heya¡­my very first comment on your site. ,I have been reading your blog for a while and thought I would completely pop in and drop a friendly note. . It is great stuff indeed. I also wanted to ask..is there a way to subscribe to your site via email?




    E Publishing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you! It's actually quite easy to subscribe via email: if you scroll down my page, on the right-hand side, past the archive, twitter feed, etc, you'll find a "Follow" button and a "Subscribe by Email" button. Just type in your email in the second section and you're set!

      Delete
  2. I like this blog trial or error creativity, I'm so impressed on its information that made me convinced to make this kind of etched glass part of simple crafts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips