Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Try It Tuesday (On a Wednesday): Wedding Colors as Your First Wedding Anniversary Outfit

So, I got to admit something right out of the gate: I didn't even realize that weddings had color themes until I was knee-deep in wedding planning.

My wedding colors just sorta … happened. My husband and my's birthstones are sapphire and ruby, respectively (I've already gone on about everything that entails). Certain things were a given to me: on the night he proposed, my husband ordered a bouquet of flowers as our centerpiece at the restaurant. The flowers were roses and irises -- essentially our birthstone colors. To me, it made sense that that same centerpiece would be our centerpiece at our wedding.

Like the little genius I was, I thought to myself, "Oh my, I can totally incorporate ruby red and sapphire blue to many aspects of my wedding!"

To which one of my more wedding-savvy friends said: "Which is also known as a color theme. An extremely common aspect of a wedding."

Whoops.

However, just because my wedding colors essentially chose me didn't mean I couldn't be obscenely sentimental about them -- which I think I've already proven, with my chain bracelet and ribbon bangle.

For my one-year anniversary, my husband surprised me with a road trip to Niagara Falls and Toronto. We went here as our very first trip way back in 2007. Ironically, everyone thought I would return from that trip with a ring on my hand. For anyone who thought wedding bells were in the air, they had about 4 more years to wait.

Our actual anniversary day was packed with our favorite touristy activities in the area (Maid of the Mist, Behind the Falls, Boardwalk Rapids, etc), and topped off with a wonderful dinner at Watermark atop the Niagara Hilton. We then enjoyed a wonderful nighttime horse-and-carriage ride by the falls and ended the night eating the top tier of our cake -- which somehow survived a year in our freezer, followed by 10 hours in a car.

For our anniversary dinner and carriage ride, I decided to go crazy sentimental and piece together a sapphire-blue dress with ruby-red slippers (er, flats. There's no place like Canada; there's no place like Canada…). And, actually, like my wedding colors, I didn't come up with the idea until I bought the dress and remarked on how much I loved the dark shade of blue.

The best part about this outfit was that it was a breeze finding flats in dark red. Flats tend to come in every possible color (more so than sandals or heels). And, this time of year, it is insanely easy to find a sundress in almost any possible color. This is made easier if one of your wedding colors is white (which is very common -- both in terms of wedding colors and in flats/dresses!).

1 comment:

  1. Can you please please please email me where you got your dress? My husbands coming home from Afghanistan next month and I have desperately been trying to find a dress that looks just like that! You can email me at mfjmail@yahoo.com thanks, from Angela! Even if you can't help out my dress function, you look stunning in that dress and your ruby red slippers :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips