Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Try it Tuesday: Contact Paper Under the Sink

Lining shelves with contact paper is not exactly a new concept. But it is a practice that fell out of favor by the 1990s. And, while I'm not lining the rest of my shelves with contact paper, lining the area under my sink breathed new life into the cabinets.



Let's face it: the area under the kitchen sink is ugly. Even the nicest cabinets get water damaged by the piping. It's not a pretty sight, and I don't like putting cleaning products in an area that isn't clean in the first place.



Contact paper can be found anywhere. Online, in crafts stores, in home improvement stores. They come in all shapes and sizes and colors. I got some granite-patterned contact paper, then chuckled to myself because -- hey -- I live in in the Granite State and got granite-patterned paper. Yeah, I had a feeling it was amusing to only me.



I really recommend doing this piecemeal. Contact paper is a sonofagun to remove from its backing. It crinkles, folds in on itself, and can be a beast to lay down without air bubbles. Cut small strips, start from the back wall, and slowly roll it into place. If you have a free hand, use it to smooth the paper as it lays down on the ground.



I know none of my guests are going to look under my sink and be amazed that I have bright granite pattern, but I like the change. It's nicer to look at and I feel better about putting things like detergent and cat food under here. (Plus, you got a sneak preview of this project in my kitchen post.)



And, while I was at it, I decided to spruce up the pantry. The metal racks are nice enough, but don't provide enough surface support for cans and narrow boxes.



All it took was a few flat pieces of wood, my extra contact paper, and I have brand new shelves.



Although, I must admit, I wish my shelves looked this tidy and pretty. Sadly, these pictures were taken before we fully moved in, and this was just our "to eat while renovating" food.

3 comments:

  1. I will have to try that! My pantry is similar, except it is a total disaster zone. Josiah keeps trying to organize it but I think he forgets how short I am. The organization system breaks down when I start putting things away at my eye level, rather than where he put them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i read a lot of stuff and i found that the way of writing to clearifing that exactly want to say was very good so i am impressed and ilike to come again in future.. this site

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips